Center for Engineering Diversity
Eligibility & Benefits
All incoming first-years are able to apply, although we encourage students who identify as:
- First-generation college students
- An underrepresented student in STEM
Benefits of Attending VSI
- Free on-campus experience
- Solidify your math skills
- Participate in research
- Establish meaningful relationships with faculty and staff
- Build your peer support network of new incoming students and upper-class students through community-building events
- Develop an individualized action plan to achieve your personal, academic, and professional goals with a peer mentor
- Experience a preview of college living to ease your transition in the fall
- Build on your learning strategies to assist
FreeFree on-campus experience with dining plan. All excursions and events are covered by us. You only have to cover your transportation to and from USC. If finances will prevent you from traveling, we may be able to provide a transportation waiver.
MentorshipReceive a mentor who will guide you through the summer and your first year at USC. You can talk about your adjustment to college, academics, getting involved, and making the most out of your time at USC.
ResearchWe pair you with a lab during the summer to get you involved in research and make connections with graduate students and faculty. It's a great way to get hands on experience in the field.
Experience LAWe take students on weekly excursions to get to know the area. In the past, we have taken students to a Dodger game, the beach, and Knott's Berry Farm. Excursions vary by year.
Make FriendsEvery year, VSI students begin the academic year with some of their closest friends and bonds that last during their time in college.
Experience USCWe connect you to various departments on campus so you know where to go when you need support.
Published on April 8th, 2022
Last updated on April 15th, 2022