Find new passions, take in new cultures, and expand your scope by participating in an overseas  program.

Explore all of your overseas options offered through both USC and the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.

The University of Southern California and the USC Viterbi School of Engineering offer you numerous opportunities to explore the world around you through various overseas programs. Whether you want to go for a few days or a few months, we can provide you with the information necessary to decide what program or programs meet your needs and help you achieve your goals. With offerings in engineering-specific, service-learning, and interdisciplinary programs, we encourage you to take advantage of what USC and USC Viterbi can offer.

 Research Overseas

The Tsinghua Undergraduate Research Program


An interactive classroom without borders.

Semester Abroad

Spend the entire semester at another university.

Summer Overseas

Check back in Spring 2021 for new program details

 Alternative Break

Engage in service learning and volunteerism.


Research and experiential learning after graduation

 Exchange Programs

Learn from peers and faculty in other countries

Global Internships

Global Fellows Internship Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I go overseas?

There are numerous benefits to going abroad, both academic and personal.  On an academic level, you will become a more well-rounded student by taking courses not offered on campus, or those similar to on-campus courses with a different academic context. You can also develop new intellectual pursuits, improve both your foreign language and English communication skills, or begin a new language. You will become more self-reliant and resourceful, make new friends, learn about your heritage or gain new perspectives on your identity, and delve into local arts, culture, cuisine, and sports. You will also make your resume more attractive to future employers because you will improve your interpersonal skills, and you can even gain international internship or volunteer experience.

Sample answer to question one

Who should I talk to if I'm considering an overseas program?

If you’re interested in a program that occurs over the course of the semester or the summer, talk to your academic advisor. S/he will be able to guide you on what classes to take, how credits will transfer, and if/how it may affect your anticipated graduation date.

We also strongly encourage you to speak with the program manager for the opportunities you’re most interested in.

What will I need to go overseas?

All students going abroad must have a passport, which should be valid for at least six months beyond the last day of their program. Before departing the US, you will also need to obtain a student visa from your host country’s consulate. Visa procedures are different for each country, and processing times can take as little as one day or as long as three months. Note that most consulates keep your passport while processing your visa, so you will not be able to travel outside of the US during that time. International students should keep in mind that visa procedures may differ from those of their US-citizen counterparts.  Once you have decided on a destination, look at the country’s consular website and familiarize yourself with student visa requirements.

For more information about visa requirements, you may also check in with the Office of International Services.

Do I have to speak a foreign language?

No.  Some programs are available to you with no language requirement whatsoever.  Many other programs have language requirements of as few as two semesters.  Please review individual program pages with information regarding specific requirements.