Center for Undergraduate Research in Viterbi Engineering (CURVE) Fellowship
CURVE applicants are considered in two categories:
First-Time Researchers are defined as Viterbi undergraduate students who have not received prior formal research experience at USC and who have not previously received the CURVE fellowship. This category generally, though not exclusively, applies to first and second year undergraduate students who are looking to gain initial exposure to research at Viterbi.
First-Time Researchers submit an application to be matched with listed research opportunities from participating labs. A limited number of first-time research participants will be selected to receive $1250 per semester for up to 2 semesters funded by the CURVE program. Funding terms include fall and spring semesters.
Continuing Researchers are defined as current Viterbi undergraduate students who have already engaged in undergraduate research experiences at USC for 2 semesters or more, and includes past recipients of the CURVE fellowship. This category generally applies to undergraduates in their second year or above.
A limited number of continuing research participants receive $2500 for the academic year (Fall and Spring) or $3000 for the summer. The stipend will comprise of a 50/50 cost-share model, with 50% from CURVE and 50% from sponsoring faculty or other external funding sources. Funding terms include fall, spring and summer.
Open Match vs. Self-Secured Lab Opportunities
Applicants can also identify research lab opportunities in one of two ways:
- Open Match: Applicants can request to be matched with open research opportunities. Many projects are interdisciplinary in nature and offer opportunities for students across diverse majors and areas of study. If opting in for the matching process, students will list their lab preferences, and their applications will be forwarded to those labs for further review. Click here to review all open research positions.
- Self-Secured: Applicants who have already secured their own unpaid research opportunities can still apply for CURVE funding consideration. Applicants will need to provide details about their research position, including information about their lab, supervisor and research project, along with a letter of support from their current Principal Investigator.
Summer 2024 Term
- Tuesday, March 5, 2024 Application Opens
- Sunday, April 7, 2024 Application Deadline Due 11:59 PM (PT)
- April 8 -19 Review Period
- April 22-26 Award Notifications Sent
Published on February 10th, 2021
Last updated on March 1st, 2024