Pre-Engineering Admission Requirements
All students interested in changing their major to engineering must go through the pre-engineering process.
The pre-engineering process typically takes one to two semesters and consists of taking classes for your intended Viterbi major.
You will automatically be reviewed for Viterbi admission once you have submitted your pre-engineering application and have completed your pre-engineering coursework.
Computer Science Majors
As of Monday, February 5th, 2024, Viterbi is currently no longer accepting CS Pre-Engineering applications for the following majors until further notice:
- Computer Science (CSCI)
- Computer Science Business Administration (CSBA)
- Computer Engineering and Computer Science (CECS)
- Computer Science Games (CSGA)
This does not affect students who are already in the pre-engineering track (e.g., submitted a CS Pre-Engineering application) and who are on track for review for a CS major.
Non-Computer Science Majors
Students must submit a Pre-Engineering Application (for non-CS intended majors) and are required to take at least three major related pre-engineering courses at USC for a letter grade in order to be reviewed. These pre-engineering courses vary by major. Please see the pre-engineering courses tab , for more information on critical major specific pre-engineering courses.
Students interested in an Engineering Major (AME, ASTE, BME, CHE, CE, ECE, ENE, or ISE), must submit a Pre-Engineering Application. The Pre-Engineering Application for non-CS majors is open year round.
Top admission consideration is given to students who:
- Take 14 to 18 units per semester
- Have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at USC
- Meet the B or better grade qualifiers for their pre-engineering courses
- For non-CS engineering majors (AME, ASTE, BME, CHE, CE, ECE, ENE, or ISE), the three pre-engineering courses generally consist of an engineering course, science course, and MATH 126/129 or higher. The minimum grade qualifier is a B or higher.
- Your entire USC academic history will be considered with a focus on Viterbi major-related courses taken at USC.
Published on November 30th, 2020
Last updated on February 23rd, 2024