USC-Amazon Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
The University of Southern California (USC) and Amazon Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) provides outstanding undergraduate students with the opportunity to spend 8 weeks in Los Angeles working on cutting-edge research projects in the field of artificial intelligence, computer science and engineering, and robotics. The USC-Amazon SURE program focuses on undergraduate students from backgrounds historically underrepresented in STEM and allows participants to work in an academic-industry collaboration under the supervision of Viterbi faculty and current PhD students to develop skill sets in research towards academia as well as your career goals. Participants also will engage in professional network opportunities and build relationships that will expand their academic and professional horizons to further their research and career paths. The overarching goal of USC-Amazon SURE is to help students develop an understanding of research in engineering disciplines and prepare students with skills for successful academic careers in engineering graduate programs.
All USC-Amazon SURE fellows are provided with a $650 stipend per week, campus housing, travel to and from Los Angeles, health insurance, and educational and social activities during the program.
Program Dates: June 13, 2022 - August 5, 2022
- SURE fellows will arrive on site June 11-12 and depart August 6-7
- Orientation Day is June 13, 2022. All program participants must be able to attend Orientation Day and be available for the entire duration of the program.
- Enable stellar undergraduate students with the opportunities to participate in cutting-edge research during the summer
- Promote equity and diversity in undergraduate research programs.
- Provide professional and academic networking opportunities that will enable participants to be more competitive when applying for graduate programs.
USC-Amazon SURE fellows will:
- Engage in cutting-edge research under the guidance of USC faculty and PhD mentors.
- Attend community-building events with other SURE participants, both on campus and around Los Angeles.
- Attend professional development seminars on topics such as conducting literature reviews, delivering effective presentations, designing technical posters, developing best practices in research, writing scientific abstracts, and applying to PhD programs.
- Present their research at the end-of-summer Research Symposium.
Program Eligibility and Requirements:
- Sophomore or Junior-year undergraduate students enrolled at a U.S. higher education institution. This program is open to current USC students and those enrolled at other U.S. colleges and universities.
- U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or DACA recipient currently located in the U.S.
- (Although undocumented students need work authorization to be eligible for USC-Amazon SURE, USC has additional resources for undocumented students regardless of work authorization to receive monetary awards if you are able to find an unpaid summer internship here)
- Strong academic background (GPA of 3.5 or higher is recommended) in the fields of engineering, math, computer science, or hard science (biology, chemistry, physics)
- Application requires:
- Transcripts (official or student portal generated transcripts are acceptable)
- Resume/CV (1 page maximum)
- Statement of Purpose
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (academic references preferred) - Click here to access Letter of Recommendation Form
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about this summer research opportunity.
Published on November 22nd, 2021
Last updated on May 3rd, 2022