Viterbi undergraduates who make VARC services part of their regular studying will be able to:
- Show improvement in understanding their course material.
- Apply course concepts to different types of problems.
- Develop positive study habits and skills for lifelong learning.
- Be a more active student and engage in the Viterbi community.
We look forward to seeing you in VARC soon! Register today & begin scheduling your free peer tutoring appointments!
If you have any questions about our services, please contact us at (213) 740-3881 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To register with VARC and set-up a tutoring appointment, follow the steps below:
- Log-in to myviterbi.usc.edu
- Select “VARC Tutoring Appointment Manager” under “Student Resources”
- Select “Register New Account”
- Populate your profile completely and select “Save”
- You should now be registered with VARC. You can go back to the VARC Tutoring Appointment Manager and create an appointment with a tutor.
"My tutor is very talented and understands how to convey concepts across to people who she is tutoring. She tries her best to help me and her dedication to getting a concept or point across is very admirable."JuniorCivil Engineering
"The best tutor I have ever had. Really wants to help me succeed, and understand the material. Helped me out in my class 100%, and made me excited for quizzes/tests, because I understood all the material!"Aerospace EngineeringSophomore
"My tutor was a very easy person to speak to. You can tell he very genuinely wanted to help me do better."Computer ScienceFreshman
"He did a great job at explaining concepts and explaining the logic behind programming."Chemical EngineeringFreshman
"My tutor is REALLY smart. Knowledgeable in tons of different subjects."Electrical EngineeringSophomore
Tips for Your Group Study Session
Workshop and MOOC Resources
A consultant from the Engineering Writing Program is available in VARC to answer your questions about writing for your all your courses – not just your engineering classes! The writing consultant can help you:
- Develop your writing skills.
- Organize your reports.
- Learn proper form and grammar.
Make your appointment with the writing consultant through the VARC Online Appointment System. We strongly recommend booking your writing appointments as far in advance as possible, as appointments book up very quickly and there is typically little walk-in availability.
Appointments with the writing consultant follow the same policies as all other VARC peer tutoring appointments.
Tips for a Productive Consultation
Writing consultations are most productive when you have thought in advance about what you would like to work on with the consultant. If you are in the beginning stage of working on a paper, let the consultant help you explore brainstorming techniques to generate ideas for answering your instructor’s assignment. If you have written a draft, go through the draft and mark those areas you are least satisfied with.
Bring any or all of the following with you:
- Your assignment.
- Papers previously marked and returned to you from your instructor.
- An idea of what the person grading your paper wants you to do with this assignment.
- Any work you have already done on the assignment.
Whatever you do, come ready to participate, with some specific discussion topics in mind. Some topics might be:
- I would like to narrow the thesis for this paper.
- I would like to develop some relevant examples for this paper.
- I would like to revise this paper to incorporate my instructor’s suggestions.
- I need to cite my evidence correctly.
- I’m not sure that I have chosen an appropriate voice.
- I don’t know if this evidence is convincing or relevant.
- How can I use commas correctly?
Courtesy of the USC Writing Center.
USC Writing Center
The VARC writing consultant isn’t your only resource for help with writing! All USC students can visit the USC Writing Center, located in THH 321. For more information on consultation times, workshop information, and other services, visit the Writing Center’s website.
Online Writing Resources
A complete listing of online resources is available on the Writing Center’s website.
USC Dornsife Supplemental Instruction
- BISC 220
- CHEM 105a
- CHEM 105b
- CHEM 115b
- CHEM 332a
- CHEM 322b
- MATH 126
- MATH 226
- PHYS 151