To register with VARC and set-up a tutoring appointment, follow the steps below:
- Log-in to myviterbi.usc.edu
- Select “VARC Tutoring Appointment Manager” under “Student Resources”
- Select “Register New Account”
- Populate your profile completely and select “Save”
- You should now be registered with VARC. You can go back to the VARC Tutoring Appointment Manager and create an appointment with a tutor.
VARC offers an area for open study space, as well as individual tutoring rooms for one-on-one tutoring sessions
Open Study Space Hours
Monday-Thursday 9am – 7pm
Friday 9am – 5pm
213.740.4530 | firstname.lastname@example.org
"My tutor is very talented and understands how to convey concepts across to people who she is tutoring. She tries her best to help me and her dedication to getting a concept or point across is very admirable."JuniorCivil Engineering
"The best tutor I have ever had. Really wants to help me succeed, and understand the material. Helped me out in my class 100%, and made me excited for quizzes/tests, because I understood all the material!"Aerospace EngineeringSophomore
"My tutor was a very easy person to speak to. You can tell he very genuinely wanted to help me do better."Computer ScienceFreshman
"He did a great job at explaining concepts and explaining the logic behind programming."Chemical EngineeringFreshman
"My tutor is REALLY smart. Knowledgeable in tons of different subjects."Electrical EngineeringSophomore
What classes are available for tutoring?
Math 125, Math 126/129, Math 226/229, Math 245, Math 445
PHYS 151, PHYS 152, PHYS 153
If taking PHYS 161 or 171, sign up for an appointment under PHYS 151
CHEM 105aL, CHEM 105bL, CHEM 300L, CHEM 430a
CHE 120, CHE 205, CHE 330, CHE 350, CHE 442, CHE 443
BME 101, BME 202, BME 210
ISE 105, ISE 220, ISE 225, ISE 330, ISE 331, ISE 460
WRIT 150, WRIT 340
Our writing tutor can help you with any writing-related work you may have, regardless of the class. If your writing assignment is for a class other than WRIT 150 or 340, simply sign up for an appointment by selecting “WRIT Help”.
Meet the Tutors
Visit or Contact Us
Viterbi Academic Resource Center (VARC)
University of Southern California
Viterbi School of Engineering
Ronald Tutor Hall (RTH) 222
Los Angeles, CA 90089
213.740.4530 | email@example.com
A consultant from the Engineering Writing Program is available in VARC to answer your questions about writing for your all your courses – not just your engineering classes! The writing consultant can help you:
- Develop your writing skills.
- Organize your reports.
- Learn proper form and grammar.
Make your appointment with the writing consultant through the VARC Online Appointment System. We strongly recommend booking your writing appointments as far in advance as possible, as appointments book up very quickly and there is typically little walk-in availability.
Appointments with the writing consultant follow the same policies as all other VARC peer tutoring appointments.
Tips for a Productive Consultation
Writing consultations are most productive when you have thought in advance about what you would like to work on with the consultant. If you are in the beginning stage of working on a paper, let the consultant help you explore brainstorming techniques to generate ideas for answering your instructor’s assignment. If you have written a draft, go through the draft and mark those areas you are least satisfied with.
Bring any or all of the following with you:
- Your assignment.
- Papers previously marked and returned to you from your instructor.
- An idea of what the person grading your paper wants you to do with this assignment.
- Any work you have already done on the assignment.
Whatever you do, come ready to participate, with some specific discussion topics in mind. Some topics might be:
- I would like to narrow the thesis for this paper.
- I would like to develop some relevant examples for this paper.
- I would like to revise this paper to incorporate my instructor’s suggestions.
- I need to cite my evidence correctly.
- I’m not sure that I have chosen an appropriate voice.
- I don’t know if this evidence is convincing or relevant.
- How can I use commas correctly?
Courtesy of the USC Writing Center.
USC Writing Center
The VARC writing consultant isn’t your only resource for help with writing! All USC students can visit the USC Writing Center, located in THH 321. For more information on consultation times, workshop information, and other services, visit the Writing Center’s website.
Online Writing Resources
A complete listing of online resources is available on the Writing Center’s website.
USC Dornsife Supplemental Instruction
- BISC 220
- CHEM 105a
- CHEM 105b
- CHEM 115b
- CHEM 332a
- CHEM 322b
- MATH 126
- MATH 226
- PHYS 151