The first step is to sign up for an Orientation session, either on-campus, off-campus, or “I can’t attend”. If you are not able to make it to an in-person orientation session, that’s ok! Just be sure to let us know by registering for “I can’t attend”. We will reach out to you in early August to setup a virtual advising session.
Check out the Viterbi Undergraduate Student Handbook to learn about all of the majors, programs, support and more in the full PDF of the Undergraduate Handbook.
Are you newly admitted to the Viterbi School of Engineering? Congratulations!
As you get ready for orientation, be sure to complete all of the steps below.
Step 1: Sign up to attend an orientation
- You have a lot of choices for orientations. You can sign up for one of the 6 on campus orientations USC offers or the on-campus orientation for international freshmen. If it works better for you, you can also choose one of our off-campus locations. If you can’t make it to any of the orientations, be sure to sign up for “I can’t attend”.
- If you can’t attend any of the orientation sessions, we will reach out to you in early August to schedule a virtual advising session.
- Orientations can fill up, so we recommend signing up early.
- Check out the orientation locations and deadlines here
Step 2: Complete your Pre-Orientation Checklist
- This part is important! Your advisor uses this information to place you into the correct set of classes for the fall semester.
- Be sure to complete the entire Pre-Orientation Checklist, including:
- Math Placement Test
- Chem Placement Test
- Self-report all AB, IB, or A level exams
- Not sure where to find your Pre-Orientation checklist? This diagram can help!
Step 3: Attend Orientation
- At orientation freshmen will meet their Viterbi First-Year Advisor.
- You will attend Viterbi’s Academic Expectations presentation, where we will go over opportunities and resources available to you and how to make the most out of your time here.
- You and your advisor will have a one-on-one advising session to go over the classes you will register for fall semester. During the 10 minute session you and your advisor will review any AP/IB/A-level courses and your placement in classes.
- On the second day of orientation we will hold group registration where we will help you register for your first semester at USC!
- At orientation transfer students will meet their Department Advising Specialist.
- Your advisor will have a course plan ready for you, and you will register in a small group with other students in your major.
Step 4: Review the Viterbi Undergraduate Handbook
Are you newly admitted to USC and interested in changing your major to Engineering? We are happy to help you prepare to apply!
If you were admitted to another major at USC but would like to be considered for admission to the Viterbi School of Engineering, please follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1: Sign up to attend an orientation and select that you are interested in attending the pre-engineering workshop.
- As part of orientation, you will attend a 30 minute workshop that will cover the process for applying to Viterbi and our admission requirements.
- We will provide individual course plans to follow for enrolling in your first semester at USC.
Step 2: Fill out the Pre-Engineering interest form on the Viterbi Admission website
- This will help us by telling us what major you’re interested in so we can better prepare your course plan and ensure there are adequate spots in classes
Step 3: Review the process, sample course plans, and admission criteria on our pre-engineering web page.
- You must complete at least 3 pre-engineering courses at USC before you can be reviewed for admission, generally a math, science and engineering course.
- The earliest a newly admitted student can be reviewed for admission is at the end of the fall 2018 semester.
Step 4: Complete your Pre-Orientation Checklist.
- In order to place you into the correct classes and have a smooth registration, it is essential that you fully complete your pre-orientation checklist.
- This includes reporting all AP/IB/A-level exams and taking the Math and Chemistry placement exams.
Step 5: Attend orientation and the pre-engineering workshop.
- We will answer all of your questions and review your course plans at this time
Step 6: Enroll in your first semester at USC!
- Following the workshop, you will meet with your declared academic advisor, or Undecided/Undeclared advisor to enroll in the suggested course plan.
Step 7: Review the Viterbi Undergraduate Handbook
- Learn about all of the majors, programs, support and more in the full PDF of the Handbook here.