As a reminder, Friday, November 11th, is the last day to drop a course with a mark of a “W” on your transcript.
Who should you speak with before dropping a class?
- Faculty member(s): to confirm your current grade in the class and the scores you would need to obtain on your remaining assignments in order to pass or earn the desired grade. Speak with the faculty member about your calculation and where your current grade. Prepare questions about previous midterms and assignments, as well as future assignments and use these as a topic of conversation.
- Academic advisor: work with your advisor to fit the class back into your long-term plan, if needed, while making certain you meet all prerequisite requirements for future courses. Speak with them about your challenges in the class and how to change your approach in the future.
- Family members: or other people who support you both financially and personally. In order to make-up the course you are withdrawing from, you may need to take summer school or fit the course back into your course plan; speak through the options your advisor and faculty member outlined.
Funding and special program considerations
- Scholarship programs typically require a certain unit count to maintain the scholarship. If you are considering dropping a class, make sure you will still meet your scholarship’s unit requirement.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Students receiving financial aid need to make certain they are meeting SAP; see SAP guidelines.
- Speak with the administrator or advisor from Financial Aid or other programs you are a part of to make sure you are meeting those requirements. Athletes, for example, must meet certain unit requirements.
Ultimately, you need to do what is best for you and we are here to help you think through the decision. Please contact your Viterbi First Year Advisor or departmental advisor if you have questions. As a reminder, First Year Advisors have walk-in advising Monday-Thursday from 1:30-4:00 pm in RTH 110.
For information on the University registration deadlines can be found at: http://classes.usc.edu/term-20163/calendar/