Who is my advisor?

If you are a first-year student, you have been assigned a first-year advisor. If you are a sophomore, junior, or senior, you will be working with a department advising specialist for your major.

Find first-year advisors and department contacts here.

When can I talk with an advisor?

You can email your advisor at any time. You can also stop by drop-in advising Monday – Friday from 3-4pm in RTH 110 for quick questions.

You are required to meet with your advisor for mandatory advisement prior to registration for the next semester’s classes. You will receive notification from your advisor about signing up for an appointment.

If you need to meet with an advisor outside of mandatory advisement and drop-ins, feel free to call or email your advisor to setup an appointment.


How do I register for classes?

You can register for classes on or after your assigned registration time, or “permit to register”, and as long as all holds are cleared.

USC uses a system called Web Registration or “WebReg”. WebReg can be accessed at and at

Where do I find my registration time?

Your registration time, or permit to register, is released in October for Fall semester and March for Spring semester. You can find your permit to register via MyUSC. Once logged into MyUSC, select OASIS, and then Permit to Register.

When is the add/drop deadline?

The first add/drop deadline is typically the Friday of the 3rd week of classes. You can find the exact dates for each semester on the registration calendar here.

What is a ``W``

A “W” stands for Withdraw, and means a cancellation of enrollment in a course. Students have until the end of the 12th week of the semester to drop courses (or the week-12 equivalent for courses that last less than 15 weeks). The mark of W is assigned to any course dropped after the third week.  Students may not withdraw from a course in which they have committed or have been accused of committing an academic integrity violation.

A “W” is not calculated into a GPA.

Read more here.

How do I add a class that is full?

WebReg does not have a built in waitlist system. If a section that you would like to register for is full, you will need to wait until a student drops the class and a seat becomes available.

What if two classes I need conflict?

Occasionally, two courses that you need will overlap in time. If the overlap is not a substantial amount of time, or it is for a quiz section of a course, many times you can enroll in both using a course conflict form.

Check out our registration information website for more information.

I am thinking about taking a course at a community college or other instituion over the summer. Can I do that?

Yes, you can take courses over the summer at another institution and transfer them back in to USC. GE courses and Writing courses do not apply (they must be taken at USC).

Many students choose to take math or science classes at a local community college over the summer. To begin, use an articulation agreement site (for California community colleges) or an articulation histories website (for non-California schools) to find a class equivalent to the USC class. *Not all transferrable courses will be listed here.

Next, submit the desired course for pre-approval via OASIS. Read more about pre-approval for summer courses here. 

Finally, talk with your advisor to update your course plan. It is important to be mindful of GE credit when taking science classes outside of USC. For example, if you take an equivalent course to PHYS 151 outside of USC, you will earn the major credit, but not credit for GE-E.

I can't register because I have a hold on my account. What do I do?

The system should tell you the type of hold and which office to contact. Please call that office and settle the issue with one of the representatives.

You can still use the system to build your schedule but you will not be allowed to register for classes.

WebReg says ``Unable to Register`` when I try to checkout. What's going on?

There are a few reasons why you might be getting an error when you try to checkout in WebReg.

If you are trying to add a GE, or course other than math, science, or engineering, be sure that you have met the prerequisite and that the course does not require D-clearance. Carefully read any notes associated with the course on the schedule of classes. Although a course has GE credit, it can still be limited to a specific major.

If WebReg says that you need d-clearance, or that you have not met the prerequisite for a math, science, or engineering class, please submit your request here. 

Check all enrollment issues listed here and if you are still having trouble enrolling, reach out to your advisor.

What does ``D-clearance`` mean?

D-clearance, or departmental clearance, means that the department is limiting who can enroll in the class. Section IDs with a “D” at the end are restricted by the department offering the course (for example, CHE 120, section ID 29400D).

How can I check if I have d-clearance?

Often times we give declared Viterbi majors d-clearance automatically. You can check if you’ve been provided clearance for a class in MyUSC > WebReg > My Information > Clearances

What if a section ID has an ``R`` at the end?

If a section ID has an “R” at the end (for example, CLAS 280 section ID 19810R), you are free to register for the class as long as you have met any prerequisites.


What is the difference between Math 126/129 and Math 226/229?

Math 126 and Math 129 are both Calculus II. However, Math 129 is Calculus II for Engineers and Scientists.

They are very similar classes and will cover the same material, but the examples used in Math 129 will be applied towards engineering.

Either class is fine to take and will be counted towards your major.

The same goes for Calculus III (Math 226/229).


What is the difference between PHYS 151, PHYS 161, and PHYS 171?

PHYS 151 is Fundamentals of Physics I: Mechanics and Thermodynamics.

PHYS 161 is honors physics. You may want to consider applying for honors physics if you entered Viterbi with advanced math and/or physics credit. It is designed for students who want to get additional experience in physics to build upon what they learned in high school. Obtain an application from your advisor.

PHYS 171 is Applied Physics I: Mechanics. It is similar to PHYS 151, but emphasizes application in engineering. This course is an option for some Viterbi majors, and is required for Electrical Engineering.

If you are not sure which Physics class is best for you, ask your advisor.

How do I apply for Physics 161: Honors Physics?

Please fill out the Honors Physics application and return it to your advisor

Honors Physics Application

What is the difference between CHEM 105A and CHEM 115A?

CHEM 105a is General Chemistry.

CHEM 115a is Honors Chemistry. It is equivalent to CHEM 105a but taught at a higher level for exceptionally well-prepared students. Ask your advisor for an application.

How do I apply for CHEM 115A: Honors Chemistry?

Please fill out the application below and return it to your advisor.

Honors Chemistry Application


What is a passing grade in Viterbi?

For a letter grade, D- or above in a course is a passing grade at Viterbi. For a P/NP grade, C- is a passing grade. However, in order to graduate, you will need to have a major GPA of 2.0 and a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

Can I take my classes Pass/No Pass?

Courses for your major may not be taken pass/no pass. Only one GE course may be taken as pass/no pass.

Pass/No Pass grades do not factor into your GPA. If you are considering taking a class for Pass/No Pass, check with your advisor first.

  Engineering +

I am thinking about adding a minor, where do I start?

Not sure what you want to minor in? Read about choosing a minor here.

Next, talk with your Viterbi advisor about fitting a minor into your course plan.

Finally, check with the department of the minor regarding any admission standards or application procedures for the minor.